THE WAY TO

NIRVANA

SIX LECTURES ON ANCIENT BUDDHISM
    AS A DISCIPLINE OF SALVATION

HIBBERT LECTURES, MANCHESTER COLLEGE,
    OXFORD, FEBRUARY APRIL 1916

by

L. DE LA VALLEE POUSSIN

http://www.archive.org/stream/thewaytonirvana00lavauoft/thewaytonirvana00lavauoft_djvu.txt
    OKBOY
    OKBOY --- ---
    proud.. proudy vedomi... proudy agnosis.........
    OKBOY
    OKBOY --- ---
    ano, co je patrne je ten PROUD... proud vedomi... jsem velmi spokojeny, mozna to nekteri z nagara sutty muzete videt taky... atman, purusa... nevim nevim.. to je navazane na umele predstavy, ne tento proud jak je...

"Then the thought occurred to me, 'This consciousness turns back at name-&-form, and goes no farther. It is to this extent that there is birth, aging, death, falling away, & re-arising, i.e., from name-&-form as a requisite condition comes consciousness, from consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-&-form. From name-&-form as a requisite condition come the six sense media... Thus is the origination of this entire mass of stress. Origination, origination.' Vision arose, clear knowing arose, discernment arose, knowledge arose, illumination arose within me with regard to things never heard before.

"Then the thought occurred to me, 'Aging & death don't exist when what doesn't exist? From the cessation of what comes the cessation of aging & death?' From my appropriate attention there came the breakthrough of discernment: 'Aging & death don't exist when birth doesn't exist. From the cessation of birth comes the cessation of aging & death.'... 'Name-&-form doesn't exist when what doesn't exist? From the cessation of what comes the cessation of name-&-form?' From my appropriate attention there came the breakthrough of discernment: 'Name-&-form doesn't exist when consciousness doesn't exist. From the cessation of consciousness comes the cessation of name-&-form.' Then the thought occurred to me, 'Consciousness doesn't exist when what doesn't exist? From the cessation of what comes the cessation of consciousness?' From my appropriate attention there came the breakthrough of discernment: 'Consciousness doesn't exist when name-&-form doesn't exist. From the cessation of name-&-form comes the cessation of consciousness.'

"The thought occurred to me, 'I have attained this path to Awakening, i.e., from the cessation of name-&-form comes the cessation of consciousness, from the cessation of consciousness comes the cessation of name-&-form. From the cessation of name-&-form comes the cessation of the six sense media. From the cessation of the six sense media comes the cessation of contact. From the cessation of contact comes the cessation of feeling. From the cessation of feeling comes the cessation of craving. From the cessation of craving comes the cessation of clinging/sustenance. From the cessation of clinging/sustenance comes the cessation of becoming. From the cessation of becoming comes the cessation of birth. From the cessation of birth, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair all cease. Thus is the cessation of this entire mass of stress. Cessation, cessation.' Vision arose, clear knowing arose, discernment arose, knowledge arose, illumination arose within me with regard to things never heard before.

Samozrejme to nikde jinde neni..
    OKBOY
    OKBOY --- ---
    OKBOY
    OKBOY --- ---
    “Whatever form, feelings, perceptions, experiences, or consciousness there is (the five aggregates), these he sees to be without permanence, as suffering, as ill, as a plague, a boil, a sting, a pain, an affliction, as foreign, as otherness, as empty (suññato), as Selfless (anattato). So he turns his mind/will (citta, Non-aggregate) away from these; therein he gathers his mind/will within the realm of Immortality (amataya dhatuya). This is tranquility; this is that which is most excellent!” [MN 1.436]
    OKBOY
    OKBOY --- ---
    SN 4.400

At that time, Vaccha, when a being has laid down this body,
    and that being (satto) has not yet taken up another (annataram) body
    (kayam) in rebirth (anupapanno); therein I declare [that beings]
    fuel to be thirstfulness (tanhupadanam). At that time, Vaccha, I
    declare [the beings] fuel to be thirstfulness.
    OKBOY
    OKBOY --- ---
    Some people are simply determined to place a self or a soul into the Buddha's teachings. They have been doing so for the past 2,600 years. The problem is that the Buddha only pointed people towards the end of suffering. In all of the ways he did this, a doctrine of self was not one of them. What he did do was teach his disciples to observe the five aggregates or the six sense bases and their objects as anatta (not-self). He also taught that if one were to try and describe something outside of these, they would be put to grief because such a thing would lie beyond range. So, the role of a soul is non-existent in Buddhism. What is existent are the multitude of ways that the Buddha teaches his followers to free themselves from suffering. This starts from the simple observation of the five precepts to deep states of meditative absorption and contemplation of the three characteristics of existence. In the end, the causes of suffering will be completely abandoned, and that is the highest bliss of Nibbana (unbinding).
    OKBOY
    OKBOY --- ---
    “Both formerly and now, I’ve never been a nihilist (vinayika), never
    been one who teaches the annihilation of a being, rather taught only
    the source of suffering (that being avijja, or nescience/agnosis), and
    its ending (avijja).”
    OKBOY
    OKBOY --- ---
    The Biography of the Venerable Phra Acharn Mun Bhuridatta Thera

A Spiritual Biography by Acariya Maha Boowa Ñjanasampanno

http://www.luangta.com/English/site/book8_biomun.html

Introduction

Venerable Acariya Mun Bhuridatta Thera is a towering figure in contemporary Thai Buddhism. He was widely revered and respected during his lifetime for the extraordinary courage and determination he displayed in practicing the ascetic way of life and for his uncompromising strictness in teaching his many disciples. During the 50 years since his death he has assumed an exalted status in Buddhist circles and thus remains an overshadowing presence whose life and teachings have become synonymous with the Buddha’s noble quest for self-transformation. In recent decades, he gained recognition beyond the confines of his native land as one of the 20th century’s truly great religious figures.

The story of Acariya Mun’s life is a vivid portrait of a consummate spiritual warrior unrivalled in modern times who practiced the Buddha’s path to freedom with such perfection that he left those who knew and revered him in no doubt that he truly was a Noble disciple.
    OKBOY
    OKBOY --- ---
    Most people do only what they feel like doing,

failing to take into account the value of their human birth and the
    consequences of their actions. This makes it difficult for them to fully
    realize their human potential. There’s an old saying that someone is ‘not
    all there’.

It refers to a basic lack of human potential arising from callous
    insensitivity to the fact that human beings possess intrinsic qualities that
    are superior to those of animals. This attitude promotes such degrading
    behavior that some people end up damaged almost beyond repair – an
    empty human shell lacking all intrinsic goodness. Even then, they are
    unaware of what has happened to them, or why.

- Ajaahn Mun
    OKBOY
    OKBOY --- ---
    Andhakara Sutta: Darkness

translated from the Pali by
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn56/sn56.046.than.html
    OKBOY
    OKBOY --- ---
    The Buddhist Layman

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/various/wheel294.html

four essays by