• diskuze
  • nástěnka
  • přihlásit
    registrace
    ztracené heslo?
    KERRAYoO( ) psychedelické memy ( )O๑.. ॐ ..๑O( ) psychedelic memes ( )Oo
    KERRAY
    KERRAY --- ---
    relativně dlouhá a velice výživná ukázka - a kratší, nepříliš reprezentativní výňatek:

"Some complain that e-mail is impersonal—that your contact with me, during the e-mail phase of our relationship, was mediated by wires and screens and cables. Some would say that’s not as good as conversing face-to-face. And yet our seeing of things is always mediated by corneas, retinas, optic nerves, and some neural machinery that takes the information from the optic nerve and propagates it into our minds. So, is looking at words on a screen so very much inferior? I think not; at least then you are conscious of the distortions. Whereas, when you see someone with your eyes, you forget about the distortions and imagine you are experiencing them purely and immediately."

"So what’s your explanation of how I recognized you?"

"I would argue that inside your mind was some pattern of neurological activity that was not there before you exchanged e-mail with me. The Root Representation. It is not me. I’m this big slug of carbon and oxygen and some other stuff on this cot right next to you. The Root Rep, by contrast, is the thing that you’ll carry around in your brain for the rest of your life, barring some kind of major neurological insult, that your mind uses to represent me. When you think about me, in other words, you’re not thinking about me qua this big slug of carbon, you are thinking about the Root Rep. Indeed, some day you might get released from jail and run into someone who would say, ‘You know, I was in the Philippines once, running around in the boondocks, and I ran into this old fart who started talking to me about Root Reps.’ And by exchanging notes (as it were) with this fellow you would be able to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that the Root Rep in your brain and the Root Rep in his brain were generated by the same actual slug of carbon and oxygen and so on: me."

"And this has something to do, again, with Athena?"

"If you think of the Greek gods as real supernatural beings who lived on Mount Olympus, no. But if you think of them as being in the same class of entities as the Root Rep, which is to say, patterns of neurological activity that the mind uses to represent things that it sees, or thinks it sees, in the outside world, then yes. Suddenly, Greek gods can be just as interesting and relevant as real people. Why? Because, in the same way as you might one day encounter another person with his own Root Rep so, if you were to have a conversation with an ancient Greek person, and he started talking about Zeus, you might—once you got over your initial feelings of superiority—discover that you had some mental representations inside your own mind that, though you didn’t name them Zeus and didn’t think of them as a big hairy thunderbolt-hurling son of a Titan, nonetheless had been generated as a result of interactions with entities in the outside world that are the same as the ones that cause the Zeus Representation to appear in the Greek’s mind. And here we could talk about the Plato’s Cave thing for a while—the Veg-O-Matic of metaphors—it slices! it dices!"

z knihy Neal Stephenson - Cryptonomicon
    ALISTAIR
    ALISTAIR --- ---
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Já vím, že je to stará pravda, ale tenhle mem je víc než to. Je to silná psychedelie a funguje na několika rovinách. Slova re-member a re-peat jsou v jakémsi protikladném vztahu (protože jedno vylučuje druhé), ale přesto v sobě obě nesou prvek opakování - jednou probíhá v mysli a jednou ve vnějším životě. Navíc pamatování a rozvzpomenutí není nikdy jenom "zpřístupnění dat", ale je v tom trocha té platónské anamnesis - tedy rozvzpomenutí se na Tehdy. Platí pak přísloví také? Nebo naopak?
    KERRAY
    KERRAY --- ---
    "What if this weren't a hypothetical question?"

// pry anonym :)
    KERRAY
    KERRAY --- ---
    "The most erroneous stories are those we think we know best - and therefore never scrutinize or question."

Stephen Jay Gould
    KERRAY
    KERRAY --- ---
    TADEAS
    TADEAS --- ---
    "There's either no free will ... or only free will ... depending on who you're referring to; to the Self, there is only free will - to the egoic body-mind, essentially zero"
    Adyashanti
    BOSSORKA
    BOSSORKA --- ---
    V životě je důležitý vývoj,
    v realitě je důležité bytí.

Richard Bach
    PERPLEX
    PERPLEX --- ---
    umění je nedělat z ničeho zbytečnou vědu...
    a to ani z vědy ne, poněvadž buďto něco je a nebo nejni
    a ta věda se nám jen snaží přiblížit to, co už je,
    kdežto umění tvoří něco, co předtím nebylo...

lehounce přeparafrázovanej Werich (včera z TV)

PERPLEX
    PERPLEX --- ---
    kerr: god is where you find it (godminer's proverb:) ?
    KERRAY
    KERRAY --- ---
    ALISTAIR
    ALISTAIR --- ---
    "A triviality is a statement whose opposite is false. However, a great truth is a statement whose opposite may well be another great truth."

Niels Bohr
    KERRAY
    KERRAY --- ---
    Gold is where you find it.

Goldminer's proverb
    KERRAY
    KERRAY --- ---
    Omnipotence is not knowing how everything is done; it’s just doing it.

Alan Watts
    ALISTAIR
    ALISTAIR --- ---
    An enemy is someone whose story you haven't heard.
    KERRAY
    KERRAY --- ---
    http://blisty.cz/2007/3/28/art33572.html
    Nerozumím ničemu

Jedním z nejděsivějších poučení, jakého se mi dostalo, je to, že celkem vzato dospělí nevědí, co vlastně dělají. Jako dítě ve škole jsem si mylně myslel, že moji učitelé jsou neomylní, znají všechno, chrání je neviditelné silové pole dospělosti. I jako student jsem se mylně domníval, že lidé, kteří mají významné postavení, jsou "dospělejší" než já - že mají v hlavě nějaký duševní počítač, který je vede k správným rozhodnutím, i když s nimi vždycky nesouhlasím.

K pozdnímu prozření u mě došlo kolem pětadvaceti, na mejdanu, kde jsem mluvil s dívkou asi tak mého věku, která byla učitelkou, a přiznala se mi, že většinou učí žáky to, co se sama naučila z jejich učebnice pouze o týden dříve. Pokud se jí daří být před žáky o jednu kapitolu napřed, je to v pořádku, píše v deníku Guardian Charlie Booker a pokračuje:

Pak jsem potkal lékaře, ne o mnoho staršího, než jsem sám, který byl opilec a hlupák. Uvědomil jsem si, že jsem věkem dohnal "dospělé" a že jsou stejně neohrabaní jako já sám. Ale starší generace určitě věcem rozumí líp, myslel jsem si. Musejí, protože jinak by svět skončil v chaosu. Pak mi bylo třicet a uvědomil jsem si, že pořád ještě netuším, co se děje. Teď je mi třicet šest a vím, že pořád toho mnoho nevím. Nikdo toho mnoho neví. Všichni improvizují.

A svět nikdy "nepropadne chaosu" - je trvale v chaosu, protože všichni z nás, od žebráků k císařům, se v tom jen meleme a snažíme se orientovat se v nepředpověditelném vesmíru, jak nejlépe dovedeme. Jsme jen chodící tvůrci chyb. Jsme jen tupá zvířata. Bylo by to stejně chaotické, kdyby světu vládly slepice. Je to pravda a je to děsivé. Zároveň ale svým způsobem nádherné.

Nerozumím zpravodajství. Dívám se na ně a čtu zprávy, ne nijak posedle, ale asi tak, že bych měl být schopen se angažovat jako uvědomělý občan. Ale já tomu nestačím. Nevím, co se děje.

Porozumět řádně významné události často vyžaduje skutečné úsilí, a to je mnohem víc, než co jsou mnozí lidé ochotni učinit. Proto většina z nás toho ví víc o celebritách než řekněme o izraelsko-palestinském konfliktu. Lidi, kteří pracují ve zpravodajství, na to často zapomínají. Ti jsou tím obklopeni pořád. Ve skutečnosti však asi většina lidí zmeškala v dané události předchozí, důležité epizody, a tak se ve věci neumějí řádně orientovat.

Více než kdy jindy potřebujeme dnes Průvodce dneškem pro idioty. Vynikajícím způsobem to dělají internetové stránky BBC, které vysvětlují hlavní zprávy dne dodatečnými, jasně a stručně napsanými informacemi o pozadí tématu, třeba "Kdo je Scooter Libby?" Mělo by to být k dispozici i v televizi, že by člověk zmáčkl červený knoflík a objevily by se k dané věci informace, které nám všem unikly.

Kdybychom všichni o věcech věděli více, byli bychom víc ochotni nabídnout pomocnou ruku, namísto toho, že prostě pokrčíme rameny a doufáme, že se ty zprávy přeženou, anebo že se zabýváme trivialitami. Neříkejte nám, že je něco důležité. Vysvětlete nám proč.
    ATOMINATOR
    ATOMINATOR --- ---
    KERRAY
    KERRAY --- ---
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/308772_faith24.html?source=mypi
    Articles of Faith: The unfortunate age of entitlement in America
    By ANTHONY B. ROBINSON

Some will remember the hot book of the 1970s, "I'm OK -- You're OK" by Thomas Harris. Harris' tome was part of the self-esteem movement of the time. Thirty years later, self-esteem seems to have morphed into entitlement.

Perhaps the book for this decade will be, "I'm Entitled and So Are You! (Though Perhaps Not Quite So Much as Me)."

Such a book, popular as it might prove, would lack therapeutic value. A more helpful book might bear the title, "I'm Not Entitled and Neither Are You -- So Get Over It!"

Entitlement issues are increasingly a concern of psychologists and therapists. Pastors and some educators report similar concerns. We seem to have come to the place where we feel entitled to the good life. We're entitled to have everything work for us. If it doesn't, someone must be to blame, and you can be sure of at least this: Whoever is at fault, it isn't us.

What a crazy idea!

Imagine a pile of presents under the Christmas tree as large as Bunker Hill that's taken for granted. That's just the way it's supposed to be. Every kid has a right to presents by the heaps, and even that will disappoint if the latest, coolest thing isn't to be found.

A person standing on a beautiful beach in Hawaii with a frown on his face, muttering, "I really liked our spring vacation better" -- that's an entitlement issue, too.

I read that these days mental health types see young people on a regular basis who are absolutely certain their lives should be better than they are and someone else is to blame. But not only young people. This seems to be an intergenerational dysfunction. Working in an upscale retirement home can be a tough gig! Talk radio shows and their jocks specialize in identifying the culprits and not very often are they us. And when it's our own children who have stepped in it, the self-righteousness of parents can be a wonder to behold.

The upshot is a culture of complaint. We have, it seems, grown fluent in the language of blame, complaint and grievance, while having lost our linguistic capacity when it comes to words such as, "Please," "Thank you," and "I'm sorry."

advertising
    We also seem increasingly disabled when it comes to those locutions that express personal responsibility for our part in the problems that beset us. After all, how can we possibly say, "It's my fault," when we've been weaned and schooled on self-esteem? If I'm OK and you're OK, then it must be "Them."

A sense of entitlement means that we feel that we have a right or a claim to something, whether it's the best school, a grand home, preferential treatment, or the good life.

How has this pervasive sense of entitlement come to pass? Is it self-esteem run amok? Is it the emphasis on "rights" in speech and thought? Is entitlement a corollary of affluence or a consequence of consumerism? Does it owe to being the world's sole superpower? Whatever the cause, this much seems true: Entitlement is the handmaiden of the ego, the sign of a neglected, malnourished soul.

[...]
    SLEEPY
    SLEEPY --- ---

A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.

http://xkcd.com/
    Kliknutím sem můžete změnit nastavení reklam