• témata
  • události
  • tržiště
  • diskuze
  • nástěnka
  • přihlásit
    registrace
    ztracené heslo?
    TUHOKlimaticka zmena / If the fracturing of our once stable climate doesn’t terrify you, then you don’t fully understand it

"Given the sheer enormity of climate change, it’s okay to be depressed, to grieve. But please, don’t stay there too long. Join me in pure, unadulterated, righteous anger."

"I don’t want your hope. I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. And then I want you to act. Once you start to act, the hope is everywhere."

"Our best scientists tell us insistently that a calamity is unfolding, that the life-support systems of the Earth are being damaged in ways that threaten our survival. Yet in the face of these facts we carry on as usual."

“We’ve got to stop burning fossil fuels. So many aspects of life depend on fossil fuels, except for music and love and education and happiness. These things, which hardly use fossil fuels, are what we must focus on.”

A nejde o to, že na to nemáme dostatečné technologie, ty by na řešení použít šly, ale chybí nám vůle a představivost je využít. Zůstáváme při zemi, přemýšlíme až moc rezervovaně. Technologický pokrok to sám o sobě nevyřeší. Problém jsme my, ne technologické nástroje.

Rostouci hladiny oceanu, zmena atmosferickeho proudeni, zmeny v distribuci srazek a sucha. Zmeny karbonoveho, fosforoveho a dusikoveho cyklu, okyselovani oceanu. Jake jsou bezpecnostni rizika a jake potencialni klady dramatickych zmen fungovani zemskeho systemu?
    Ale take jak funguji masove dezinformacni kampane ropneho prumyslu a boj o verejne mineni na prahu noveho klimatickeho rezimu post-holocenu.
    rozbalit záhlaví
    SCHWEPZ
    SCHWEPZ --- ---
    Uruguaycům už nezbývá než se modlit. V přehradě, která zásobuje pitnou vodou hlavní město země Montevideo, zbývají zásoby už jen na pár dní.
    V Uruguayi panuje vinou historického sucha nejhorší nedostatek vody za posledních 74 let.

Zdroj: https://www.idnes.cz/ekonomika/zahranicni/uruguay-suho-voda-zasoby-more.A230529_120927_eko-zahranicni_ven

Uruguayans pray for rain as reservoir left with 10 days of water | WION Climate Tracker
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUFLK8FHqO8
    TADEAS
    TADEAS --- ---
    TUHO: 1. #accelerate towards the #collapse
    2. #pray
    3. profit
    TADEAS
    TADEAS --- ---
    pray for forest

Brazil detects record Amazon deforestation in Jan. and Feb. - ABC News
    https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/brazil-detects-record-amazon-deforestation-jan-feb-83390957
    TADEAS
    TADEAS --- ---
    pray to #accelerate

latest monthly update for greenhouse gases: carbon dioxide (*new record*), methane (*new record*), and nitrous oxide (*new record*)

FB-IMG-1647029425449
    TADEAS
    TADEAS --- ---
    pray

Thread by @Jasonvj2005 on Thread Reader App – Thread Reader App
    https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1475065873224372235.html

The Thwaites Glacier in Antarctica is larger than the Czech Republic, Austria and Switzerland combined, it is already melting and is responsible for 4% of the global rise in sea level.

However, researchers from the American Geophysical Union have now found huge diagonal cracks across the ice shelf that are growing ever faster. The prognosis: in the next five years the ice mass could collapse suddenly. What would that mean?

The ice shelf will likely break up into countless icebergs, and the rest of the glacier will then drain into the sea about three times faster. For comparison: in the last 30 years the pace has "only" doubled.

In the best-case scenario, the contribution to sea level rise increases by 1%. In the long term, his contribution would be 65cm. But worse, the Thwaites Glacier is like a plug. When it melts, the neighboring glaciers slide into its basin and melt too.

As a result, the entire ice in West Antarctica is gradually disappearing and the sea level is rising by up to 3.3 meters. And the ice cannot come back, because the oceans are much warmer than when the great glaciers were formed. Gone is gone.

Let's put that in a context: This is exactly what the IPCC warned about this year with "ice sheet instability". Our maps would have to be redrawn

Most likely, there is nothing we can do about the collapse. Millions of people are practically dead, just not yet dropped. NOW should our preparations begin to organize asylum for the displaced in the industrialized countries. It will be historically unique.
    This message really comes at the wrong time. Only a few weeks ago, strong statistical evidence was found in Greenland that the egg melt is now irreversible. Shortly before that, a study predicted a sea level rise of 5cm PER YEAR from 2060 onwards.

Every five years the sea level would rise as much as it has from the beginning of industrialization until today. The power of exponential growth, experienced first hand ...

I have simplified a few things: There are other processes at work, the glacier melts, for example, through a kind of tide pump "from below". It is essential that we are entering a phase in which the climate crisis is being driven by factors over which we can no longer influence.
    TADEAS
    TADEAS --- ---
    #pray

An Empire of Dying Wells
    https://www.bloomberg.com/features/diversified-energy-natural-gas-wells-methane-leaks-2021/

We decided to see for ourselves what Hutson’s plans might mean for the climate by visiting 44 well sites owned by Diversified. We used state databases to find accessible wells on public land in three states. Then we borrowed a $100,000 industry standard GF320 camera—designed to spot methane—from its manufacturer, Teledyne FLIR. One of us got trained and certified to use it, and the other operated a handheld gas detector.

The results were worrisome. We found methane leaks at most of the places we visited. Some sites showed signs of maintenance in recent months, but others looked more or less abandoned. We saw access roads choked by vegetation, machinery buried under vines and weeds, oil dripping onto the ground, and steel doors rusted off their hinges

Left unburned, natural gas consists mostly of methane, which is much better at trapping heat. Released into the air, a ton of methane will cause at least 80 times more warming over the next 20 years than a ton of carbon dioxide. That’s one reason controlling methane is among the cheapest and quickest ways to slow climate change and limit the wildfires, heat waves, rising seas, and droughts it’s unleashing. According to one recent estimate, putting a lid on human-caused methane emissions could prevent as much as one-third of the warming expected in the next few decades.
    Kliknutím sem můžete změnit nastavení reklam